“Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)
“And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. “(Deuteronomy 6:6-7)
“If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)
Read these two quotes:
“Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.”
“When an opponent declares, ‘I will not come over to your side,’ I calmly say, ‘Your child belongs to us already….”
Joseph Stalin and Adolph Hitler respectively made those last two statements. Below are other quotations by these tyrants. Read all of them in light of the Scriptures above.
Adolph Hitler Quotes
1. “The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.”
2. “Great liars are also great magicians.”
3. “Propaganda must not serve the truth, especially insofar as it might bring out something favorable for the opponent.”
4. “By means of shrewd lies, unremittingly repeated, it is possible to make people believe that heaven is hell — and hell heaven. The greater the lie, the more readily it will be believed.”
5. “The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force.”
6. “The great masses of the people … will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one.”
7. “I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few.”
8. “What luck for the rulers that men do not think.”
9. “When an opponent declares, ‘I will not come over to your side,’ I calmly say, ‘Your child belongs to us already…. What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community.”
Joseph Stalin Quotes
1. “Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.”
2. “Print is the sharpest and the strongest weapon of our party.”
The above quotes should give us pause for sober thought at the very least. However, we need to do more than “think”; we need to be in the business of “doing!”
Once I began school at the age of six, I spent the next 42 years associated with public education as a student for about half that time, a college teacher for 11 years and the last few years on a local school board. These experiences occurred in four different states. For practical purposes, there was not a nickel’s worth of difference between any of these public school systems.
During the 20 years since that time I continue to have an interest in the training of young people, and more specifically what the Bible has to say about this important matter.
People worry about who will be elected to be the next president of the United States. Fine, but it is far more important that Christians understand that education is a weapon and that its repetition has a powerful influence on all of us.
Let us assume that Stalin was right in that education is a weapon. Let’s also assume that Hitler was correct when he said people would believe “unremittingly repeated” lies. Should we not be teaching truth and repeating it often? Do you really think that truth telling will happen as long as children spend five days a week in public schools? As a matter of fact, contrary to truth, there are sinister teachings in public schools such as “no Jesus allowed,” “this is how you find out if you are gay”, and “this is how you kill your unborn baby.”
Let’s face it; Christians should not be having a debate on how to change public schools. Instead, we need to buckle down and follow God’s instructions as found in the Bible. Besides, at its core, secular public schooling never was commanded by God, or even suggested for that matter.
Parents, grandparents and others who teach should choose the correct weapon (Christian education) for our nation’s children, and then repeat those lessons unremittingly. If you don’t have a leader to follow concerning this issue then grab your Bible, get your orders, and do something yourself.
Whether or not you and I take up this charge there will always be tyrants ready to teach lies and repeat them often to our children. Then, after a while we will find those children standing in a new camp and they will know nothing else but a new community believing hell is heaven. Got it?